Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pretty Women Vs Mona Lisa Smile

Julia Roberts in Pretty Women

 VS

Julia Roberts in Mona Lisa Smile

Julia Roberts ...what can I say about this superb actress . She is just phenomenal! You don't believe me? Just ask the people who are sitting right beside you this question.. "Excuse me Sir/Madam, have you ever watch a Julia Robert's films?" . Obviously the answer would be YES!!.  FYI (abbreviation For Your Information.. in case someone did not understand..) I've been watching Julia's films for many years now. One of the earlier films was Pretty Women. In  that film, she play a hooker that fell in love with a handsome business man. One things with that made me thinking is that an actor can be whatever or whoever they want. As example, an actor can be a psycho killer/rapist/sadist in one movie and on the next movie they can be King , President of the United States, Priest and even Mother Theresa!!


We have been assigned by our beloved lecturer to watch a movie entitled Mona Lisa Smile. I'm going to give a brief synopsis about what this film all about.

Mona Lisa Smile is about Katherine Ann Watson (played by Julia Roberts), a teacher who studied at UCLA graduate school . Then, she got to teach at  a conservative college Wellessley College, a conservative women's college. She wants to changes her students perception towards life. They need to know that their life was not limited only to be a wife and a mother. Watson's use method that  is different from the methods used by the other teachers. She got called by the director of the school and asked her to change her method of teaching. The director who is a woman who also  believe firmly that Watson should not use her class to express her points of views or befriend students and should stick only  to what she supposed to do that is teaching art. Watson is warned that she could lose her job. (Poor Watson...). This film also revolves around her relationship and life. As the films end, we can see the students are began to respect her and appreciates her as a teacher... the  end.

From what I’ve seen, the movie revolves on just how important education is in our life. I believe as a future teacher, I can relate it to myself. At first, I thought that education is for getting a good job and of course better income (who doesn’t like money right??) .  But as I’m getting older I realized it’s not about money. It is about how you want to live your life and to be a better human being.  This movie also shows how dedicated a teacher can be in order to change their student’s perception towards life. From my experience learning new ways hadn’t been easy and it needs hard work to succeed.  Overall, I really like this movie and I recommended it to the teachers and future teachers to watch it.

** One thing I’d like to comment on Watson’s teaching is that if she ever took a Education Technology class, she will be failed. Have you seen how she asked the students to changed slides for her and how she blocks the student’s view of the slides?

No comments:

Post a Comment